Foot Passenger Travel Information
Important Information for Foot Passengers
Due to the dropping temperatures and spiking COVID cases, foot passenger and bicycle travel is suspended until further notice. Please know that this difficult decision was made to help keep our passengers and crew safe and healthy through the winter season.
What if I Have a Reservation as a Foot Passenger On or After 12/7?
Our customer service team has already started the process of reaching out to all reserved guests to discuss options, including refunding your purchase. If you have a reservation and have not yet been contacted, please give our customer service folks a call at 800.643.3779 between the hours of 8am - 4pm.
Why Suspend Foot Passenger and Bicycle Traffic?
With temperatures dropping, staying outside on the exterior decks for an entire crossing becomes less and less manageable for passengers and bicyclists, making this the time of year when more and more folks look to get indoors. Unfortunately, the colder tempeartures and concurrent rise in COVID cases make having larger groups of passengers indoors an extremely high risk for both our passengers and crew. And while passengers with vehicles can simply return to the vehicle to warm up, foot passengers and bicyclists do not have that option.
Why Are Vehicle Passengers Allowed, But Not Foot Passengers & Bicyclists?
While some winter days make for pleasant crossings, the reality is that the weather is unpredictable and some days aren't quite so nice. On those days, passengers boarding with a vehicle have the option to stay inside their vehicle during the crossing, which gives them a safe, socially-distanced and protected place to get warm and get out of the winter wind and weather. With indoor seating closed, foot passengers and bicycle passengers do not have that option and we don't have a place for them to get sheltered if the weather isn't cooperating.
When Do You Think Foot Passenger and Bicycle Travel Will Resume?
As soon as it's safely possible to do so. Unfortunately we do not have an exact target date at this point, but we will be evaluating the situation at the end of January and will provide an update at that time.